Based in Vancouver, BC, Canada
February 13, 2014
Emerald is an atmospheric, story-driven action/adventure game. It features a mysterious sci-fi environment and heavily emphasizes exploration. It is currently the focus of a Kickstarter campaign, to fund development. It is being built for PC and Mac. It is expected to launch on January 14th, 2014.
Emerald was originally conceived at the Global Game Jam 2013 (of which krangGAMES was both a sponsor and participant). It was initially intended to be an online Flash game, but soon grew into something more substantial. The prototype was built in Flash, but the final version uses Unity to take advantage of better visual features, optimized performance and the ability to build to virtually any platform, consoles included. Emerald is slated to launch on February 13th, 2014.
- Immersive, atmospheric sci-fi environment set aboard a derelict spacecraft in zero-gravity.
- Rich storyline told through interactive flashbacks, cryptic terminals and enigmatic hidden messages.
- Nine endings based upon player decisions, with more endings pending implementation.
- Gorgeous stylized, minimalist visuals and a dark visual tone emphasize to the solemn sci-fi setting.
- Original score, created by Power Up Audio, blends seamlessly between futuristic synth and acoustic piano melodies.
There are currently no trailers available for Emerald. Check back later for more or contact us for specific requests!
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Hidden Gems of Kickstarter, #1" GamingOnLinux.com, Sept-Oct 2013
- "Emerald is the first time in a long while that I’ve felt such an emotional connection with a geometric shape."
- John Walker, Rock, Paper, Shotgun
- "The simple, even abstract graphics, helped by the awesome audio design, really made me feel like I was floating through the drone-patrolled corridors of a mysterious starship..."
- Paul Hack, IndieGames.com
- "That’s Emerald, a game which was birthed unexpectedly from the primeval soup of Global Game Jam 2013 in January and now looks set to evolve into something pretty magical."
- Brenna Hillier, VG24/7
- "My time with Emerald may have been rather short, but it was an experience that was truly memorable and ultimately I valued each passing minute that went by as I played it."
- Ian Fisher, Shogun Gamer
- "Emerald's promise that every bit of text will have meaning could allow you to craft a story around yourself rather than following a specific breadcrumb trail to a neatly packaged conclusion."
- Dora, JayIsGames
- "Sounds like a jolly, carefree romp where nothing could go wrong, right? Right?"
- Sophie Prell, Joystiq
Request Press Copy
Please fill in your e-mail address below and we'll get back to you as soon as a press copy is available for you.
Alternatively, you can always request a press copy by sending us a quick email.
krangGAMES Inc. allows for the contents of Emerald to be published through video broadcasting services for any commercial or non-commercial purposes. Monetization of videos created containing assets from Emerald is legally & explicitly allowed by krangGAMES Inc.. This permission can be found in writing at http://www.curiobot.com/press/sheet.php?p=emerald.
Help fund Emerald and make the game come to life ♥ kickstarter.com.
Available for $5 from Bandcamp (or slightly cheaper via the Kickstarter campaign) kranggames.bandcamp.com.
About krangGAMES Inc.
krangGAMES is a Canadian indie game company, run by Nick Yonge. We've specialized in making webgames for the last few years, and are now working to bring new titles to other platforms.
More information on krangGAMES Inc., our logo & relevant media are available here.
Creator, developer, designer
Power Up Audio
Sound Designers, Composers
Promotional Images, Box Art
Environment and Concept Art, OST Album Art